Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proekt/public_html/ishutdownapp.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Accessibility trouble in iShutDown server for Windows
iShutdown forum
December 18, 2017, 11:32:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mac server updated to 1.1 version

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accessibility trouble in iShutDown server for Windows  (Read 2384 times)
talksina

View Profile Email
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:18:24 PM »

Hi,
I am a totally blind user
I use iPhone with the VoiceOver setting activated, you get it from settings -> general -> accessibility -> voiceover.
I am positively impressed by how accessible the app is. Buttons are completely labeled, IP address can be written without any problem, I was afraid of boxes jumping, that is, you write 192 and it just jumps to another 3-digits edit box... this is quite a problem for accessibility as in that case you have not the real time audio feedback of what you are writing.

so:
I just set up the app, I did not know there was the server to install, and I found your site while searching on Google what was wrong with me.
For now, I have Windows XP machine, with NVDA screen reader installed to make it talk - www.nvda-project.org - please, if you can, test iShutDown server on mac, with VoiceOver installed - you activate it with command+f5 keystroke.
I installed the Windows server, in my iTunes-running machine, and it correctly works
But... I have no way to set preferences on my own!
The free NVDA screen reader, and the paid one, JAWS from www.freedomscientific.com(there's a free 40 minutes demo if you want to test) does not read anything at all! And nothing works to shut that window down.
All the preferences are graphics, not text, checkboxes and controls cannot be recognized, it just reads ishutdownapp.com site
Now, it starts automatically in my Windows system, the window of preferences appears, there is no way to shut it down, except from going to system tray and pressing "quit" button.
This is not kind from you, this is called discrimination towards people who have a disability and cannot use the mouse
Well, I could leave it as it is, it runs, I let it go, and I shut the machine with iPhone, as the app is accessible itself
But I'd like things to be done better, not just 50% accessibility, do you understand what I mean?
if you don't mind to test it with NVDA for Windows and JAWS demo, (use keyboard only, not mouse, othwrwise test is useless), and voiceover with mac
thanks for help
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:55:31 AM »

Hi.

It's my mistake. It mustnt show preferences window at startup only run
small server programm to shutting down PC in background. But sometimes with some
OS versions it also run a preferences window.

I fix that bug and release update as soon as possible with some additional features.

Hope, that will solve your trouble too. See news here at forum or on the main site page.
i create one when new version of server software will be released.

talksina

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:06 AM »

and about accessibility issues?
to navigate through preferences with tab and shift tab keys, and the screen reader to read the options aloud?
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:31:08 AM »

and about accessibility issues?
to navigate through preferences with tab and shift tab keys, and the screen reader to read the options aloud?

Yeah, i try to do that too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: