Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proekt/public_html/ishutdownapp.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
WOL Not working from cold start
iShutdown forum
November 22, 2017, 03:14:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mac server updated to 1.1 version

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WOL Not working from cold start  (Read 8043 times)
tm140

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »

Hi, I have just downloaded the iShutdown app, as I want to be able to turn my PC on from a fully shut down state from another room (and potentially over the internet, but this is secondary).

I spent ages yesterday playing around with it and I am happy I have my PC hardware set up correctly (both from a BIOS and LAN setting point of view), however I cannot get the PC to turn on using WOL from a cold start (completely shut down) over my home network.  It works perfectly when shutting down or waking from a hibernated state, but I really need it to WOL from a completely shut down state.

I think the issue may be the port forwarding.  I have gone to my Belkin router settings and enabled port forwarding on ports 7, 9 and 4505, however when I test the port forwarding online (through a test website), it tells me that port 4505 is open, but ports 7 and 9 are closed (which I understand you need open).  I have double checked and port forwarding is definitely enabled for all three ports, but clearly there is an issue somewhere.

Has anyone else had similar issues or does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get round this, as I would really really like WOL to work from a cold start over my home network.

Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Tom
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »

Hi, first of all please tell me your hardware versions please?

Your motherboard version? Firmware of motherboard if possible.

Looks like your mobo absolutely power off network connection when it fully shutdowned.

Please also take a look at your network port is led lights at the edge of ethernet port lighting when you shutdown your pc? Or them turns off too?
tm140

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »

board: Dell Inc. 0F896N A02
Serial Number: ..CN7360497B01T5.
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A09 08/08/2009

Is this enough information for you? I was able to enable WOL on my BIOS settings, so i assume the motherboard is WOL enabled.

I have checked and the is a green light on the LAN connection when the PC is completely off.

Will the port forwarding settings impact my ability to start the PC from a cold shutdown state over my local network, or is that only when starting over the internet.

thanks for your help
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »

Port forwarding only need to work over internet.

So if it starts from sleep or hibernation within your local network
then all configured fine and the trouble lies somewhere in hardware/firmware

ill try to find something useful and post it here asap.
tm140

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »

Great, thanks - I would really appreciate your help in getting it working.  So I assume that my motherboard is WOL compliant?  I will quadruple check my settings, but I am 99.999% certain I have set it up correctly.  So any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks again
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:42:23 PM »

Please tell me you have laptop or pc?

And please tell me which model you have? For example optiplex 400 or somewhat else?
I read many topics about your motherboard model and there are many variants depend of model from bug in firmware to unsupporting that feature in network adapter. So if you tell me your laptop/pc model it will be very helpful to detect which exactly option we have here.
tm140

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 546 Desktop (brought in December 2009). I have emailed you the full details, please let me know if you require any further information and if you can identify the problem.

Many thanks
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 01:06:18 AM »

Looks like it bug in firmware.

For example here is similar troubles and dell support do nothing to solve them
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/134242-dell-inspiron-wol-issues-546-and-570

Best thing I can suggest you is to update your bios firmware to latest if it Possible. It may fix that issue.

Tell me about results please.
tm140

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »

I updated my BIOS (to a 2010 version, I cannot find an update post that), but still no luck
superkyo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »

I have the same problem whit my mac mini:
2.5 ghx intel core i5
it WOL Not workng from cold start, I all ready setit up at the energy saver panel to wake for network access.
what can  i do?
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:37:47 PM »

I have the same problem whit my mac mini:
2.5 ghx intel core i5
it WOL Not workng from cold start, I all ready setit up at the energy saver panel to wake for network access.
what can  i do?
Mac Mini may not wake from cold start. If it not work for you the best way is to wait for update from Apple.
Its a know inssue of some Mac Mini's. If you google your question you will find that it bug (or feature) of apple firmaware.

I updated my BIOS (to a 2010 version, I cannot find an update post that), but still no luck
I really sorry but i cant do nothing for you in that situation. Best way to solve that trouble is to create a technical
incident request somewhere in dell support site/forum.

There also one more issue i know about if you shutdown your PC by long press power button (about 5 seconds)
it will be unable to cold start PC by WOL command in most cases.

Also please try WOL software from another software developer. For example Mocha WOL. Its freeware.
May be iShutdown have a bug with WOL in some way and if another app will work for you and you tell
me about it i will be ableto find a bug and release an updated version of iShutdown with bugfix.

LelandHolland

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 01:33:56 AM »

Hi, I have just downloaded the iShutdown app, as I want to be able to turn my led light on from a fully shut down state from another room (and potentially over the internet, but this is secondary).

I spent ages yesterday playing around with it and I am happy I have my PC hardware set up correctly (both from a BIOS and LAN setting point of view), however I cannot get the PC to turn on using WOL from a cold start (completely shut down) over my home network.  It works perfectly when shutting down or waking from a hibernated state, but I really need it to WOL from a completely shut down state.

I think the issue may be the port forwarding.  I have gone to my Belkin router settings and enabled port forwarding on ports 7, 9 and 4505, however when I test the port forwarding online (through a test website), it tells me that port 4505 is open, but ports 7 and 9 are closed (which I understand you need open).  I have double checked and port forwarding is definitely enabled for all three ports, but clearly there is an issue somewhere.

Has anyone else had similar issues or does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get round this, as I would really really like WOL to work from a cold start over my home network.

Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Tom

hello friend even I downloaded iShutdown app but it is causing similar problem.. Can you tell the right way to solve it?Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 12:21:11 AM by LelandHolland » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: