Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/proekt/public_html/ishutdownapp.com/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wake on LAN
iShutdown forum
November 22, 2017, 03:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Facebook page http://facebook.com/iShutdown

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wake on LAN  (Read 6974 times)
macpete

View Profile Email
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:21:11 AM »

I installed your software yesterday. So far I have not succeeded in waking my computer from sleep mode using your software, although the other functions (Shutdown, restart and sleep) all work OK. My computer is a Mac G5 (Intel core 2 duo) running OSX 10.7.3. My IOS device is an iPad first generation. The network is run by an Apple Airport Express. What other information do you need? Do I have to enable 4505 port connection, and if so, how do I do it?
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

Hi,

Please go to your host settings at your iPad and tell me your Mac-address is identical on your iPad host settings and on your Mac g5? Also please tell me you have only wireless connection on your mac or it also have a wired connection?

Also please check in your Mac settings that you enable option to wake your Mac by LAN. In System Preferences, go to "Energy Saver," click on the "Options" tab, and make sure "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" is selected.

You try to wake your Mac from absolutely power off or from sleep mode?
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

Hi

Thanks for replying. Here are the answers to your questions:

The MAC address in the iPad host settings is the same as on the iMac G5 as given under ‘Network’ settings.

My internet connection is only through Airport Express Wi-Fi.

In System Prefs under ‘Energy Saver’ I ticked ‘Wake for Network Express’. Incidentally there is no Options tab, just a list of options, one of them being 'Wake for Network Express’.

I have problems waking from ‘Sleep’ mode and from ‘Power Off’

Looking forward to your reply
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »

I will try to find some workaround and post it for you.

Because i have not same hardware as you have i may only read what other people says
about similar configurations. If i find somewhat help i will post it immediately.

You may google phrase like 'airport express wake on lan', 'Mac G5 wake on lan' and read what other peoples
says about wake on lan troubles like you have. I will do the same. I i found something i will let you know.
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »

Hi, it's me again
Further thoughts on this subject: When I touch the command 'sleep all' on the iPad, my computer goes to sleep, as expected, i.e. the screen goes black and I hear the hard disk stop. When I then touch the command 'wake on Lan all' on the iPad, the screen stays dark but I hear the hard disk start (a noise like a fan starting), exactly the same noise I hear when waking by hitting a key on the computer keyboard. The Apple TV also shows the contents of my computer after the iPad command 'wake on Lan all', which seems to suggest that the computer is in fact awake. Ergo the computer has indeed woken up, but the screen display is still 'asleep'. Any suggestions as to what is happening ? Usually when the computer wakes up so does the screen!
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:42 PM »

Please tell when you tap not sleep all, but tap on your host and select sleep or shutdown option does it work for you?

Situation you describes is very unusual. Looks like its depend of drivers may be.
in any way I can't find any workaround with difficulties like you have.

Sorry for that. I'm really sorry but I can't give any good advices how to fix that trouble. I will try to find some useful info. If I found something useful I immediately will let you know.
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

I take it you refer to the graphic symbols on the right hand side, the pause sign representing sleep and the triangle representing wake. Whatever I do seems to have the result described yesterday, whether I input by the symbols or by the listed options. In fact the whole process seems to be random, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and from my point of view, rather a waste of time and money. I may have to add a comment on your website
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »

Looks like something goes wrong while installing app/apps. If you tell that it work random it means that packets doesnt come to Mac immediately by you tap command( triangle to wake. Pause to sleep, yes) but it comes to Mac with random delay.

Please try uninstall all and install all apps again.

Remove ishutdown from your iPad and from your Mac. And try to install it again.

That may help. Tell me about results please.
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »

As suggested I removed iShutdown HD from my iPad and iShutdown server from my iMac, switched off and on again, and then reinstalled the two apps. Nothing much has changed as far as I can see. I can still send the mac to sleep using your app, but when I try to wake it up the screen stays dark (although I hear the sound of the hard disk starting).

The mac wakes when I touch a key on the mac keyboard or move the mouse.

I made an experiment using my Apple TV, just to see what is happening behind the dark screen. When I touched the sleep symbol on the iPad the TV immediately stopped showing the computer iTunes contents, but when I reselected the computer contents on the TV using the Apple TV remote I found they were still available (without reawakening the system using iShutdown HD, that is to say, the machine was not really asleep, just the screen). I don't know if this makes any sense to you. I'm confused and slightly fed up. Do I need this feature? Not really, it seemed a good idea at first but no longer. If I shut the computer down I can just as easily do it from the keyboard.
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »

Today I found Mac g5 with similar config as you have. Will try to reproduce sutuation you describe and tell you how to solve it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hope I can reproduce Situation soon and write you what to do to fix it.
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »

I gave you some conflicting information in my first note when I wrote that my computer was a G5 (Intel duo). It can't be both and is in fact an Intel duo, vintage 2009. Sorry about that.
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »

I think I found the trouble source.

Please give me day or two to found a answer how to fix it.
macpete

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »

Take all the time you need!
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »

hi

Sorry, but after about a week of trying to find why it didnt starts with WOL commands i still
didnt find a solution.

It work for me same as you describe. WOL command doesent wake Mac G5 which i borrow for tests
i think it depend of lan card or motherboard may be. Network work fine. All work fine
but it doesent wake up in any way.

I also try another free and paid software to wake up that Mac and them also didnt work.
Will try to find any workaround if it possible. I have one more week to make tests with that Mac G5.

If it possible i will find a solution. Sorry for any inconvenie.
Vlad Polyanskiy
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

Hi again.

Today i saw your review in appstore with one star rating. I think its really undeservedly.

I try to help you with all possibility ways. I even found similar as yours hardware for tests.
But it not work in any way. And it didnt work not because iShutdown didnt work
but because of hardware. It will not work even if i rewrite iShutdown
from zero base bacause trouble is not in iShutdown.

You may ask Apple for refund if you think that iShutdown is not the app you need. But i really think
that 1-star rating is absolutelly undeserved by iShutdown and my support.

Sorry for inconvenience, but in app description you may find that it only work if you have compatible
hardware and configure it properly. So i do all my best to get it work for you. But that is impossible, sorry.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: